At an otherwise wonderful event, you see a table with sandwiches filled mostly with ham and a small sampling of sandwiches filled with egg salad plus a really delicious pasta and veggie salad. You don't see the ice cream--from cows separated from their calves after giving birth. Once again a "progressive" organization has failed the animal-welfare-environmental awareness test, and it's ironic that Jodi, the one being honored, is a vegetarian (for health reasons). I'm sure she didn't give it a thought, but of course, I did! I'd met for the first time and really liked a concerned environmentalist who talked a lot on our trip to Sacramento about what we need to do for the environment. When I mentioned diet, I could tell that wasn't on her list. She had a ham sandwich. I had the delicious salad. But one thing I noticed: There were many more sandwiches with ham than with egg salad leftover at the end of the evening. Was that because they provided so many more or because a lot of people really do prefer not to eat dead animals whose natural instincts had been suppressed during their lifetime?
No comments:
Post a Comment