Wednesday, July 3, 2019

A Further Plea to Soleil Ho, Restaurant Reviewer for the SF Chronicle

Thank you so much for your response.  I really hope our message is being heard if not acted upon.  

I'd be even happier if the SF Chronicle would act upon it and address the ethics of a plant-based diet.  I really don't think any discussion of ethics and food should be made without making the point that having a plant-based diet (or at least moving towards one) is the single best thing we can do for animals, the environment, and people.  

As for recommendations, I like both Millennium and Shizen, which you say didn't merit inclusion in the list.  Why not?  Whose palate judged that?  Did you know that Shizen was voted Readers' Favorite Japanese restaurant in 2016?  Not just best vegan Japanese restaurant!  

I liked the way you let the "elite" restaurants compete with each other instead of with the more affordable ones.  Couldn't you add to the list the best vegan restaurant?    Just always have that category?

As for the Millennium, I had a superb Thanksgiving dinner there two years ago.  Occasionally, I've been disappointed.

Encuentro pops up from time to time, and my family and I love their food.

Have you tried Gracias Madre?  Cha-ya?  

I worry that if you didn't like Millennium or Shizen, you're not going to like any other vegan restaurant.

I know you're open to restaurants that have comfort food rather than "fine dining," so have you tried Cybelle's Front Room on 9th near Judah?  They have an extensive vegan menu because the manager's daughter wanted to enjoy all the taste sensations she had before she became a vegan and created dishes (or had them created) to satisfy her own cravings.

Have you tried the Golden Era on Golden Gate near the Civic Center?

Some of my vegan friends like Enjoy, which has two locations.  I like Loving Hut even though I wish they didn't have that "Supreme Master."  When I invite friends to the one on Irving, I seat them facing away from the TV promoting her.  

Thanks again for paying attention to a minority that really needs to grow for the good of the planet.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment