Friday, October 14, 2016

An Open Letter to Original Joe's after a Very Nice Dinner

Our friends of thirty-seven years chose Original Joe's for a farewell dinner before moving to Arizona from San Francisco, and even though I had some misgivings because I am a vegan, even I was able to eat well there with very good service from Antonio, who didn't look alarmed when I revealed my dietary choice.

He suggested a pasta with a marinara sauce and vegetables.  They could leave off the cheese.
See how good this looks?!  (I trust that what looks like cheese is really breadcrumbs or something non-dairy.)



"It's a very popular dish," Antonio said.  "We really should put it on the menu."

I agree.

Putting a vegan entree on the menu would send a message that all diners are welcome.

Sometimes people check the menu before making a reservation, and if they don't see something they can eat, they choose another restaurant.

Right now Original Joe's doesn't have to worry about clientele.  There are plenty of people content with the menu as it is.

But vegetable dishes are kinder to the environment than livestock and seafood, and there are an increasing number of people who are horrified by factory farms.  There are also a lot of people whose health concerns direct them towards more vegetables and less meat.

The Italian cuisine is so good that it can retain its flavors even with dishes that are free of dairy and meat.

So I'd like to raise my glass (a Negroni) to Original Joe's and the prospect of seeing a vegan entree on the menu someday soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment