Thursday, February 16, 2017

Miyoko Schinner Proves Times Have Evolved since 1997

I'm still reading The Vegetarian Crusades with great interest, but in addition to that there was an article by Tara Duggan, who writes about food issues, in the San Francisco Chronicle this morning (when my newspaper arrived miraculously on one of my top steps instead of a short distance away from the house).

"Vegan startup gets lots of investors compares her efforts to get investments in her vegan food Company Now and Zen after she started it in 1997 and her current success.

She had to close Now and Zen in 2003, but that's really changed.  I've tried her vegan cheeses, which are my favorites, but I thought thy were available only at Whole Foods.  I see that her VeganButter and Fresh Vegan MOzz are now sold iat Trader Joe's and even Raley's as well.

She thanks Millennials, and that's what Javier and I have been thinking.  When we go to vegan places, it's so often that young set we see!

"People are eating foods that align to their mission in life," she says.

That fits in with the American Vegetarian Society back in the 1850's too.  They were against slavery of every kind and generally very idealistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment