Friday, December 1, 2017

An Open Letter to Al Gore on Urging a Plant-Based Diet

Dear Al Gore/Staff~

I was surprised that in your latest documentary "An Inconvenient Sequel:  Truth to Power"  you barely mentioned the connection between the environment and what we eat.

My heart (or is it my stomach?) sinks when I see this lost opportunity, but I'm witnessing this strange silence more and more now.

It was ironic that  the vegan and vegetarians attendees  in Paris at the COP 21 had trouble finding anything to eat--either because the host chefs didn't consider them or because they underestimated the number of environment-conscious attendees.  (I later read that they had made 30% of their food vegetarian.)

There was advance information about the COP 23 in Bonn, Germany, saying that 60% of the food served would be vegetarian, but in newspaper articles I couldn't find any speaker  urging people to move towards a plant-based diet.  Even Arnold Schwarzenegger, who urged eating less meat at COP 21 in Paris in 2015, left that out of his talk this year. 

Yet in Germany, the minister of the environment said they would not serve meat or dairy at official dinners.  That's leadership!

Can you make a statement to support plant-based diets, or is that too politically sensitive an issue? 

If you can't or if you don't want to, I'd like to know why.

Respectfully,


Tina Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment