Monday, May 15, 2017

Can Sections of the San Francisco Chronicle Connect Vegan with Michael Bauer?

Here's my open letter to Lisa Remmert:

Dear Lisa,

 I have a question about the disconnect between one part of the SF Chronicle and another.  I came back from a trip and didn't see the vacation packet of newspapers I'd been promised, but after calling a few times, I finally got them and was glad I took the trouble to persist!

"Meatless food traditions emerging/'Clean meat' trend seeks to reduce impact on Earth," an opinion piece by Brian Kateman  in the Open Forum  appeared on May 4, and on May 7, the whole section of Food + Garden was devoted to "An exploration of the Bay Area's brave new world of fake meats."  (Never mind that "fake meat" isn't my favorite; I'm happy with vegetables that are really vegetables.)

Then when the SF Chronicle listed their 100 Best Restaurants, there was not one vegan or vegetarian one listed.    Michael Bauer wrote about the cost of restaurant meals.  Isn't it time that he connect with the concerns for animal welfare and the environment and write about the burgeoning vegan and vegetarian restaurants?  If he really doesn't think any vegan or vegetarian restaurant compares favorably with the  ones serving dead animals, couldn't he at least include the BEST among those he doesn't think measure up?

So that's one of my questions.  What can we do to get him to care?

My second question is about a discovery I made in Chicago, where a meat-eating friend found the Wishbone Restaurant, which specializes in Southern cooking but has a whole vegan-vegetarian menu!
At a time when I'd be grateful if every restaurant had just one vegan entree listed (and not "special ordered" on the spot), I am so impressed that this restaurant provides a whole menu.

I'd like to know more about the owners and how they arrived at the decision to do that.  Here's an article from the Chicago Tribune:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03-22/features/ct-dining-0322-wishbone-20120322_1_wishbone-chicken-omnivores

Apparently this is a family-owned and operated business.  I wish others would follow suit.  How can we get restaurants to do that?

Also, do you know anyone who could interview this family in Chicago?

Thanks for all you do,

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment