Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Of course, I Knew I was lecturing. But she silenced me at our table two days later.

When I responded with my "platform" to my friend asking me to cease and desist all the talk, I got this response:

Thanks for your apology.  When I monopolize a conversation, I’m usually unaware of it, too, unless my husband is there and reminds me with a poke in the ribs or a yawn.


I don’t know if you realize you just gave me a private lecture.  I feel that there’s a special door that says “lecture on veganism this way” and I keep entering it by mistake, somehow.  I want the other door.  

Carna xoxo  P.S.  I’m happy that you’re happy.  It’s good for the soul

Hmmm.

I wasn't apologizing, and I think she knew that.  I said I was sorry for alienating her, but I don't think that was an apology, just a feeling of regret.

Of course I knew I was giving her a private lecture.  That was so I could grant her wish and be silent on the subject the following week when we met for her birthday lunch at a place with almost nothing vegan on the menu.

I don't know how she knew I was happy although I am!

Anyway, I was pleasant but quiet (she might say quiet, therefore pleasant) at our lunch in her honor except for making sure there were no animal products in the salad.  I didn't get them to make me a hot vegan dish as they did last time.

In my birthday card to her, I didn't mention the vegan cause.

But I wonder:  If her cat were being tortured, wouldn't she  want to know so that she could put an end to the torture?  I don't think she'd want to be protected from the horror so that she could feel more comfortable while it was going on.  By knowing she could save the cat from such misery.  

No comments:

Post a Comment