Friday, July 21, 2017

"Separate but Equal" in the Vegan-Meat & Dairy World

In the 1960's in the South where I grew up, races were segregated in what were said to be "separate but equal" schools (neighborhood, parts of the bus, water fountains)--a bold lie.  There was no equality.

Now I think the vegan movement has something in common with the Civil Rights Movement.  When African-Americans (then called Negroes and Colored People) were sitting down at lunch counters, it wasn't to get lunch.  It was to change practices to something fairer and better.

When I eat vegan, maybe it does help me physically, but I'm not doing it for dietary reasons.  I'm doing it because I believe in the cause, and--sometimes surprisingly--the vegan options are truly "equal" to those that involve cruelty to animals and harm to the environment.

So why, when vegan "options" are so delicious, do hosts feel that they have to offer meat and dairy?

I went to an absolutely wonderful luncheon where the host offered "real" cream cheese and vegan cream cheese.  She said, "You can't tell the difference."

Then why make vegan only an "option"?


No comments:

Post a Comment