Saturday, May 5, 2018

A Donation to KQED to Assure Plant-Based Options--and Maybe Even Awareness

Here's my open letter to KQED:

Dear Staff at KQED,

In spite of my phone-phobia, I plan to join a group of volunteers to phone bank this coming Friday, May 11, and I've noticed that you kindly provide dinner.  I also noticed this paragraph:

FOOD: KQED provides food appropriate to the shift. Keep in mind that all food is donated so if you have special dietary requirements, please make other arrangements. The morning shifts will be 
provided with Bagels & coffee and the afternoon shifts will be served dinner. 

There is usually a vegetarian option.

I'd like to be sure that volunteers always have a vegan option--for the good of the environment and for animal welfare.  

The COP 23 in Berlin acknowledged that at an environmental conference most of the food served should be vegetarian.  (I hope in the future they'll make that plant-based.)  At least 60% of the food was.

Beside each food item, they gave the carbon footprint to make people aware that what we eat affects the environment.

It would be wonderful if KQED could lead in environmental awareness too--specifically in letting all viewers, members, and donors know how what we eat affects our planet. 

 I know getting donations is not easy under any circumstances, but it would be great if you could let donors know that you'd especially like plant-based food and let them know why.  

I would like to donate $500.00 so that you can begin to assure volunteers "There is always a plant-based option."

Thank you for all the good work you do. 

Tina Martin

When I donated online, I had the chance to comment in 255 characters.  This is what I wrote:

For the good of the environment and animal welfare, please use this donation to begin to provide plant-based snacks and dinners for volunteers. Also, please provide more programming to educate viewers on the impact of diet on the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment