Monday, May 7, 2018

An Open Letter to Nancy Skinner--Thanks for proposing Senate Bill 1138

Wanting to contact Nancy Skinner of Berkeley, I filled out a form obviously meant only for voters in Berkeley.


Bravo on proposing SB 1138!  I read about this in Matier and Ross, who seem to think this is/would be an extreme and costly measure.  I plan to write to them to point out the price we pay--in environmental degradation, animal suffering & health problems -- in basing our diets on livestock, but I first wanted to look up SB 1138 itself.

 I see that some major points were crossed out so that the benefits to health and environment are not mentioned--just the "fair choice" part. 

I'm doing phoning for KQED this Friday (May 11),  and our group got a letter from them promising dinner (unless we had special dietary restrictions) and saying that a vegetarian option is usually provided.  I wrote back to them, giving them a $500 donation towards beginning to provide VEGAN dinners.  (I am now retired and get only 69% of what I got working, so this was for me a major donation.)

 In a better world, vegan would be the default.

I wanted to reach you even though--sorry--I can't vote in Berkeley.  I gave an incorrect address so this mail could get through.  If there's another way to contact you, please let me know. I think even people who can't vote in Berkeley should be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment