Friday, January 18, 2019

Shame on KQED for being intransigent.--Amended

I just got a call from Lisa Richter of KQED, who was responsive to my concerns for the environment, so I would like to amend what I wrote below.


 We had a good conversation, and she was open to including plant-based restaurants in her drives for donations.  Greens is the only vegetarian restaurant that makes donations, and of course they're not vegan.   

This is what I sent her to get started:

Loving Hut (on both Irving and at the Westfield Shopping Center)   (415) 731-1957
Gracias Madre on Mission near 18th Street   (415) 683-1346
Cybelle's Front Room on 9th Avenue near Judah (They're not entirely vegan, but the manager's daughter became vegan and wanted to enjoy everything she'd ever loved in food, so they have a very extensive vegan menu.)  (415) 665-8088
Cha-ya on Valencia  (415) 252-7825
Shizen on 14th near Valencia (415) 678-5767

I told her that I would be happy to subsidize a donation if restaurants aren't forthcoming.  

I also told her that the plant-based revolution is an important one for our planet and that  it's exciting to try new ways to satisfy food cravings.  


I just sent this message to Katie Cantrel and Monica Chen of the Factory Farm Awareness Coalition.

Dear Katie and Monica,

Once again I'll be doing minor volunteer phone work for KQED, and it disturbs me that  this "educational" channel hasn't progressed since last year, when I wrote the letter below.  

You have much more clout than I do, and maybe you have a more diplomatic (by which I mean less off-putting) approach.

I would like to donate plant-based food for their volunteers to help KQED get out the word that for environmental reasons (not to mention animal welfare and other considerations) we need to move towards a diet free of meat and dairy.  KQED still says "Vegetarian options are usually available"  for the volunteers they feed.  Plant-based should be the default, and it's not even mentioned as "usually available."  They still don't seem to understand the difference between vegetarian and vegan, which places them about 20 years behind the times.

Because  they depend upon food donations to feed their volunteers, why don't they reach out to plant-based restaurants? Since they don't reach out, what would it take to get vegan restaurants to make donations?

I don't have "special dietary requirements."  I've chosen vegan because I think the plant-based movement is essential to human and non-human welfare.

Can you communicate more effectively with KQED than I have?

Many thanks,
Tina

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Tina Martin <tina_martin@sbcglobal.net>
To: member@kqed.org <member@kqed.org>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2018, 9:01:55 AM PDT
Subject: Member Services Inquiries/Comments

Dear KQED,

When I sent you an e-letter on May 5, I received the automated response that I'd be hearing from you within 72 hours, but I haven't gotten a response.

For this reason, I'm pasting a copy of my comments, which I hope will get your attention.  I'm sure you're busy, but I'd really appreciate a response..

Dear Staff at KQED,
In spite of my phone-phobia, I plan to join a group of volunteers to phone bank this coming Friday, May 11, and I've noticed that you kindly provide dinner.  I also noticed this paragraph:
FOOD: KQED provides food appropriate to the shift. Keep in mind that all food is donated so if you have special dietary requirements, please make other arrangements. The morning shifts will be 
provided with Bagels & coffee and the afternoon shifts will be served dinner. 

There is usually a vegetarian option.

I'd like to be sure that volunteers always have a vegan option--for the good of the environment and for animal welfare.  

The COP 23 in Berlin acknowledged that at an environmental conference most of the food served should be vegetarian.  (I hope in the future they'll make that plant-based.)  At least 60% of the food was.

Beside each food item, they gave the carbon footprint to make people aware that what we eat affects the environment.

It would be wonderful if KQED could lead in environmental awareness too--specifically in letting all viewers, members, and donors know how what we eat affects our planet. 
 I know getting donations is not easy under any circumstances, but it would be great if you could let donors know that you'd especially like plant-based food and let them know why.  
I would like to donate $500.00 so that you can begin to assure volunteers "There is always a plant-based option."


Thank you for all the good work you do. 
Tina Martin
When I donated online, I had the chance to comment in 255 characters.  This is what I wrote:
For the good of the environment and animal welfare, please use this donation to begin to provide plant-based snacks and dinners for volunteers. Also, please provide more programming to educate viewers on the impact of diet on the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment