Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Vegan Activists at the Sequoias

I've written to the vegan activists, led by Marilyn Kriegel at the Sequoias, a retirement community in San Francisco, and I got a very nice and informative response: 

Hi Tina

Thanks for asking about the continuing evolution of plant based foods here at The sequoias.

Three years ago Betty Carmack and I started a Veggie Network here. We held an organizational meeting inviting everyone from the community to see if there was any interest. We set out ten chairs and 36 people showed up!

We have dedicated ourselves to educating the residence and dining services community on the benefits of a plant based diet. We’ve had panel discussions, shown movies, had a “How to Build Your Own Salad” informational lunch, etc. 

The next time you are coming for dinner let us know and we can talk about all things VEGAN:-) And we can share some of our specific program materials. Or, your friend at Rossmore is welcome to write and ask for some ideas in getting food servicces up to date!

I’m copying the members of our Veggie Network steering committee. They were all delighted to know that the positive changes that have occured in our community have been noticed.

Best,
Marilyn

I wrote back.

I'm so glad we've made contact, and congratulations on what you've accomplished.  

I was very busy around December 27th, when my son and I ate with Patty and Joe at the Sequoias, and as a result I never wrote to Vangie Tejada, one of the people in charge of the dining room who seemed receptive to questions and suggestions.  But I have a question about the new notation--Saying FIT but not saying Vegan or Vegetarian.  For example, on the squash, it said only "FIT" but it didn't say Vegan or Vegetarian, which I think it was.  

I took some pictures in 2016 and again last year.  Here's the link.




I think the signs in 2016 made it clearer which dishes were and were not vegan.  But I think the signs in 2018 added something good in the way of promoting the plant-based dishes.

The Sequoias, much to your credit, has come a long way, and if people are vegan only for health reasons, it's probably fine not to have much in the way of dessert.  But if diners are vegan for animal welfare and the environment, they may still want to have something sugary at the end of the meal, and the Sequoias offers only fruit.  (Fruit, of course, is naturally sugary, but I'm talking about real decadence.)   I wonder whether they would consider coconut-based ice cream, which they could just buy and wouldn't have to make.  I imagine they would not be willing to make pastry free of egg and dairy.  I'm thinking of this because the others at my table enjoyed an affogato, the expresso on top of ice cream (speaking of decadent).  I want to send the message that people who follow a plant-based diet can enjoy everything other people enjoy.


I also want you to know that I was bragging about you to chefs at the Kensington a couple of years ago.  They had next to nothing in the way of plant-based dishes, but one of the chefs himself was vegan and was delighted to hear about what you'd accomplished at the Sequoias.

Keep up the good work, and thank you!

Tina





No comments:

Post a Comment