Friday, December 23, 2016

A Surprise (Vegan) Package

What a surprise!

My son is visiting for the holidays and ordered some things to be delivered to my address and in my name (so as not to confuse the mail carrier), so since I hadn't ordered anything, I put the three packages that arrived yesterday with his things in the bedroom, and then this morning I saw that he'd left one of the  packages out with a post-it note  to me.  It began, "Tina, I don't know how to thank you for that wonderful letter--" and I was trying to figure out who'd gotten a wonderful letter from me.  I feared I hadn't written any wonderful letters, and I wondered whether the person had the wrong Tina!  But I read on and continued to wonder.
  I should have thought of the   wonderful now-90-year-old vegan I met at a Christmas party three or four years ago because she has a way of writing like a writer--someone who thinks things through on a lot of different levels, and the wording of "Actually, yes, I do {know how to thank you for that wonderful letter}--by doing better than this in reply."  She uses words with mastery, and   I feel that I'm reading Diana Athill!

But I read on and saw that the sender was giving me some vegan candies.  Who would do that?   I saw a signature of "L," and my son had just returned from visiting someone whose name is Lani, but she never sends me vegan candies, and she wouldn't have mailed them anyway.

I thought of a vegan friend who lives in Pacifica (and is active with the SF Veg Society), but I hadn't written her any "wonderful letter."

Finally, I thought of   this lovely, 90-year-old vegan because, even though I hadn't considered my letter to her wonderful, it was wonderfully heart-felt.  

Before even thanking her, I popped one of the vegan chocolates  into my mouth, and they're delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment