Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Donations to Organizations to Help Animals



My sister, who became a vegetarian in 1972 and vegan before I did, gave me $30  for my seventy-first birthday and told me to donate to any cause of my choice, so I looked online, and here's what I found on the website  animal charity evaluators.org   

https://animalcharityevaluators.org/research/donation-impact/where-donations-go


Of animals used and killed by humans in the United States, over 99.6% are farmed animals, about 0.2% are animals used in laboratories, 0.07% are used for clothing, and 0.03% are killed in companion animal shelters. However, about 66% of donations to animal charities in the United States go to companion animal shelters, 32% go to groups with mixed or other activities, and just 0.8% of donations go specifically to farmed animal organizations, while 0.7% go to laboratory animal organizations.

Spending on animal advocacy is highly inconsistent with these patterns. As of 2015, Charity Navigator listed 90 major US animal shelters with budgets over $3.5 million, together endowed with $1.2 billion. By contrast, 10 major US farmed animal outreach organizations together controlled just $19.9 million.
These numbers together suggest that typical donors and volunteers should concentrate their efforts on preventing the suffering of as many factory farmed animals as possible.
I want to make sure that the San Francisco Chronicle's Season of Sharing includes vegan organizations on its list.

No comments:

Post a Comment