Friday, February 7, 2020

Just Eggs--So Good for Animals and the Environment but the Ingredients Scare

A friend sent me this link.


It sounds so good for animals and the environment.  Note this:


Just’s plant-based eggs, the company says, “use 98% less water, 83% less land and emit 93% less CO2 than conventional animal sources.”
The deal, then, lets Sodexo reduce its environmental footprint while consumers get a product that tastes pretty much the same. (I couldn’t tell the difference when I tried it.)

I wrote to my friend:

Maybe I told you that when I was eating at Zazie, a French restaurant, and saw a full page of omelets, I lamented that I'd have to have a veggie burger, but the server told me all of those omelets were available with Just Eggs.  

The only negative thing is that the ingredients look so unappetizing to those who read the label.    Mug Bean Protein Isolate, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, less than 2% of Dehydrated Onion, Gellan Gum, Natural Carrot Extractives for the color,  Natrual Turmeric Extractives for the color, Potassium Citrate, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Sugar, Tapioca Syrup, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Transglutaminase, Nisin as a preservative.  

They were delicious, and I'd still rather eat Just Egg than support the abuse of chickens, but it's very off-putting to friends I've given it to once they've seen the label.

No comments:

Post a Comment