Tuesday, June 5, 2018

A Search for the Vegan's iPhone

Before I fill out my sample ballot (and head towards the Y and then Oakland) this morning, I want to tell you about the adventures of Tina and Anna.

Anna suggested lunch at the Olive Gardens, and before we left, I looked up the menu and saw a PETA page saying that there were a lot of vegan options.  When we got there, the server told her there weren't many vegan options, so I showed her what I'd found on the computer at home.  

Then Anna gave me gifts she'd gotten for me on her cruise of Alaska--a pretty tee-shirt and some lovely tourquoise earrings,  and our dishes came.  I wanted to take a picture of the food, but my iPhone wasn't in my bag.  I could have sworn I had it when I left the house.  I thought I remembered looking at the time and seeing that I had two minutes to get to Vicente and 18th.  Anna asked me whether I'd like to check the car, and I said, "Oh, no!  I must have left it at home."  But she left the table to go look for it because she said I would be worrying about it otherwise.  I pled with her not to go, that I was sure I'd find it at home.  But she headed for the car, and I followed her (after telling the staff that we were coming back both to eat and to pay) because I felt more uncomfortable sitting there when Anna was looking for my iPhone than I did worrying about where my iPhone was.  

It wasn't in the car.  It occurred to me that when we got back to the table, all our food would be gone, but it was still there--if a bit cold.

Anna said, "I don't remember seeing your iPhone," and I said, I probably have a false memory of looking at the time when I was on the street."

Then Anna spotted it behind the salad bowl!  That's when we remembered that I'd gotten it out to show the PETA web page to the server!!!!!

Isn't that amazing?!  Neither of us remembered my getting it out to show the server the web page.

I'm grateful that when we returned to the table both the food and the iPhone were still there!

No comments:

Post a Comment