Thursday, June 28, 2018

Let's Make Plant-Based Cakes So Great that They Can Become the Default Cake

This is the e-letter I just sent to the person in charge at Wholesome Bakery:

Dear Mandy,

I just talked to someone at Wholesome Bakery on Divisadero, and she told me the best way to get details was to contact you at this address.

I'd like to provide a cake free of animal products for an event at City College on Friday, July 6.

The event is in celebration of Frida Kahlo Way, which Phelan Avenue has been officially re-named, and we'll have a cake for Frida Kahlo's 111th birthday.

I would like to discuss with you the possibilities for this cake.  The person in charge of this event (including the cake) thinks we'll have to have two cakes--one with eggs and other animal products, one from Wholesome Bakery because she wants a sheet cake on which the bakers could center a small but eye catching sequin Kahlo portrait sent to her by a Chicago friend. Then she was hoping for Feliz CumpleaƱos in purple or turquoise. 

I told her that Wholesome Bakery doesn't do writing on cakes.  

I sent her the link for Wholesome Bakery and the beautiful layered cake you have as an illustration, and she agrees that it is "gorgeous and, of course, much healthier for everyone, including the planet."

I'd like to come as close as I can to getting the kind of cake that non-vegans would find appealing because I believe that once people realize how delicious and beautiful plant-based cakes can be, they will be willing to make the plant-based cakes the default cake.

In the meantime, we'll have to have two labels:

For those who really don't care about the suffering of animals and the degradation of the environment
For those who really do care about  the suffering of animals and the degradation of the environment

Could you and I discuss the specifics of the cake?  Your layered cake is beautiful, but a sheet cake would probably be better for the masses.  

Tina 
Tina Martin  415 624-7930

No comments:

Post a Comment