Saturday, December 22, 2018

An Open Letter to Soleil Ho, Who Sounds Wonderful!

Dear Soleil Ho,

 I was happy to read that the next restaurant critic of the San Francisco Chronicle would "confront questions of ethics and social justice."    Since both environmentalists and animal welfare activists are urging a move towards a plant-based diet, it would be wonderful if articles always considered vegans.
 To the credit of the SF Chronicle, Jonathan Kauffman reported on Manu Gaji's "vegan turn" in a full-page article on November 25.

 But I saw "Our favorite new cookbooks of the year,  and I didn't notice a single one that was vegan.  I wanted to be sure, so I went on line and did a search in the two-page article for "vegan" the results were 0. 

 What a wonderful change you could make if you always asked restaurants for a vegan entree as well as other dishes.  Asking and reporting would show restaurateurs that plant-based dishes and vegan diners are valued.  You could show your readers too.

 I acknowledge that there are more vegetarian articles than vegan ones.  I sometimes think that vegan is where vegetarian was about twenty years ago.

 I just checked out your podcast, and I see that you're way ahead of the rest of us!   I hope this means more respect shown to plant-based diets and those of us who choose them.  

Now I'm a subscriber of both  The Racist Sandwich and Popaganda as well as the SF Chronicle.

I'm looking forward to your moving the Chronicle forward in the new year.


 Lots of good wishes,

 Tina Martin 

No comments:

Post a Comment