Wednesday, April 29, 2020

My Open Letter to Kevin Fisher-Paulson

Dear Kevin Fisher-Paulson,

I hate to deny anything to someone as wonderful as you--and I do think you're wonderful.  I love the humor and warmth that comes through in your column and all you're doing with your husband and sons and in the community.  

BUT YOU SINNED! 

You wrote such a lovely column on March 24th (my son's birthday, and what a gift):

{W}hen it came to Ash Wednesday, with everything going on I went with my default of no meat. You know the drill: smaller carbon footprint, balancing out the chi, hanging with the enlightened 6%. Did you know that on average vegetarians outlive their carnivore counterparts by about six years?

 But today?  

Remember when I wrote I’d given up red meat for Lent this year? For Easter, our fairy godsister sent us a lamb roast, stew meat, chuck roast, steak, pork chop, rump roast, meatballs, sirloin tip, hot dogs and even knockwurst. A carnivore’s tour of San Francisco. So, I tossed a random slab of tenderloin into the oven...

You have a lot of influence because so many readers love you (as I do).  

If you have to stray from your Lenten vow, couldn't you at least remind the readers about that smaller carbon footprint, the chi, the enlightened 6%, and the longer life span of vegetarians?

I don't blame the messenger (unless the messenger is reporting on himself), but the SF Chronicle has been very heavy on meat these past two days--Heather Knight and Steve Rubinstein, among my three favorite columnists.  I think they were just reporting the unfortunate push-back against doing what's good for animals and the environment. I had hoped that at least the Earth would benefit from our lockdown, our not doing business as usual.

Almost every time I read your column, I feel compelled to write a fan letter, so please consider this one.  I am one of your many fans.  I just wish that you hadn't given in to your fairy godsister!

Your faithful, saddened reader,
Tina Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment