Monday, August 22, 2016

Vegan on the Camino: What Do Restaurants Know about Vegans?

I'll soon be going on the Camino de Santiago de Compostela--just the last 110 miles.  The greatest challenge I think I'm facing isn't the distance of 15 miles we'll go the first three days but the lack of food available to people who don't eat animal products--People like me!

I wrote to the person who has arranged our accommodations while on the Camino, saying that when we arranged our accommodation, we stated that I was vegan and would like vegan meals.  I wanted to be sure that all the lodges understood this so that they would be prepared.

She wrote back that the Company had asked all the hotels to prepare vegan meals for me and they would re-send the reservations to remind them that I was vegan.  Then she asked, "Vegan means you don’t eat fish nor meat ? or only meat ?"

I wrote back thanking her for asking and explaining:

  Vegan means that I don't eat any animal products at all--no cheese, milk, butter, fish, or meat.

But I do eat vegetables prepared in olive oil, fruit, salads (with olive and vinegar dressings), pasta made without eggs, nuts, garbanzo beans, lentils prepared in olive oil,   cashew spread (a substitute for cheese made from cashew nuts, lemon juice and water),  tofu (which might not big "big" in northern Spain).  I drink almond beverage, which is a substitute for milk. 


I added:  

I wonder whether places in northern Spain sell  seitan, tofu, and other products high in protein but not involving animal products.  I feel sure they sell vegetable broth, and I'm glad olive oil is big in Spain.

I feel sure there will be lots of vegetables,  lentils and nuts, and those will keep me happy!

I used to think of "vegan" as really weird, but it's becoming a very important movement especially among young people (which I'm not!), and I'm happy to say that there are a lot of delicious dishes  full of protein.   

I also attached a favorite article Kathy Freston wrote to restaurateurs:

http://nutritionstudies.org/more-people-want-vegan-food-in-restaurants/


No comments:

Post a Comment