Monday, January 1, 2018

A Letter to Adam Shprintzen, Author of "The Vegetarian Crusades"

Happy New Year, and thank you for your response!

I got a copy of your book for Greg Rohrbach & Patly Rohrbach, the couple who head the San Francisco Veg Society.  The 50th anniversary is going to be celebrated on Saturday, October 27 at the World Veg Festival in Golden Gate Park, and I think you'd be a great keynote speaker.  I discussed this with Greg and Patly, and they say that they could pay for your fare and lodging.  Would you be interested?  You could sell copies of your book there, too.  

I listened to your interview and enjoyed it a lot.  I got the impression that the host Liz felt she had to emphasize how much meat she eats in order to form a connection with the listening audience.  She didn't want them to tune out because you were going to talk about (gasp!) vegetarians.

I've almost finished with your book, and I'm fascinated by how what I though were new developments in the past decade or so were happening more than 100 years ago--even the movement from concern for animals and "society" to concern with self.  My son's girlfriend is doing PR for a vegan organization, and the finding is that more than concern for the suffering of animals or for environmental degradation, people are persuaded by the health benefits of the vegan diet.

I think your book would make a wonderful documentary.  It's so fact-filled.  So many documentaries appear as propaganda, and even though it happens to be propaganda I believe in, it would be nice to have a documentary that gives the history the way you do.

One other thought:  Are any of the places you've mentioned in your book still in existence?  I go to New York City every September, and I'd like to visit any museums or establishments that pertain to the vegetarian movement.   I go to Chicago every year or so too.  I'd like to see the spot where the boarding houses stood and the first vegetarian restaurants.

I'm not a vegetarian myself although I became one after seeing a pamphlet on factory farms.  After being a vegetarian for 15 years, I found out that dairy animals aren't treated any better, so now I'm a vegan, and it seems that part of the vegan movement is to prove that we're not weaklings--just as the vgetarians had to prove back in the early 1909.  

I'll probably finish your book tomorrow, but I'm wondering whether you explain why this very strong movement tapered off.  

My son Jonathan and I have what we call the JoMama Book Club, now in its eleventh year, and we're making your book our February selection.  We'll discuss it at 3000 miles on a Google Hangout.  I think he's going to be as interested as I have been.

Thanks again!
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment