Friday, January 5, 2018

A Suggested Speaker for the SF Public Library

Janet Tom is an amazing, articulate organizer of speakers at the San Francisco Public Library.  She's really on top of things.  Here's an e-message I've just sent to her:

Dear Janet,

Thank you for this information!  At first I couldn't find the date for Lustig's talk, but now I see you state it in the subject, just not in the body!  On Tuesday, January 9th,  I'm going to Sacramento for the "Free the Bill"l action to keep health care--Healthy California Act (SB 562) I don't think we get back into the city until 5:00, so it would be tight if Lustig starts speaking 5:30.   If I come late, I'll be quiet!

I'm also interested in Gloria Valoris' talk.  

Here's another suggestion for a speaker if it can be arranged:  Adam Shpringzen on The Vegetarian Crusade:  The Rise of an American Reform Movement, 1817-1921, which gives fascinating details I'd never heard before.  It's very well-written.  I've talked to Patly and Greg about the book--in fact, I gave them a copy--and they think he would be a good keynote speaker for the 50th anniversary of the SFVS on October 27th.

Do you think he could be asked to speak at the public library?  Or maybe he already has, and I missed it!  To tell you the truth, I don't know how I learned about his book, but it's one of the most fascinating books I've read in recent years.  I hadn't known that there were utopian societies associating vegetarianism, the abolition of slavery, and women's right to vote.  I didn't know that things I believed were new developments--nut-based meat substitute products, for example--were with us more than a century ago!  It's also interesting how  vegetarianism started out as something people were doing for a better society and became something removed from "causes" and just for health and personal success--kind of like today!

Thanks again for all you're doing.  You really make a difference!

Happy New Year,
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment