Thursday, January 4, 2018

Corn Flakes, Not Hard-Boiled Eggs, for My Post-Oscar Party

I won't let even the temblor I felt at 2:40 or so this morning keep me from posting this blog.

I saw "The Shape of Water" a few hours ago, but I won't go into how the science may not have been peer reviewed.

Instead, let's focus on the food.  For my post-Oscar party I always make dishes that represent different movies.

Here's 1994, the first year I did this:

Bread and water for "Shawshank Redemption," TV dinners for "Quiz Show," cake for "Four Weddings and a Funeral," chocolates for "Forrest Gump," and Big Macs for "Pulp Fiction."  (Strange how much more recent "Pulp Fiction" feels!)

Anyway, since the protagonist in "The Shape of Water" is always feeding eggs to the creature, that seems like the obvious choice.  But as a vegan, I could serve them only scrambled like those Jan-Philip and I had at Cafe Flore, and that's not the same!  I noticed her eating corn flakes at one point.

It's interesting that the story line, "If we don't help him, we're not really human," sounds a bit like PETA!

No comments:

Post a Comment