Tuesday, January 2, 2018

That Fish in "Call Me By Your Name"

Fortunately, no one ever reads my blog or I might incense some people by not worshiping the highly-praised film "Call Me by Your Name."

Elio, the young protagonist (that is, younger than the one in his early twenties),  seems almost misogynistic in the way he uses Marzia,  the girl who thinks he really cares for her.  He doesn't seem to care about her.  When she returns and asks, "Am I your girl?" he just shrugs.  So much for her.

Elio's father, aware of his love affair with Oliver, tells him that he, too, had been attracted to a man but hadn't pursued it, to his regret.

"Does Mother know?"

"I don't think so."

So much for Mother.

I'm sure it's wonderful that the characters all speak several languages with ease, but they are so entitled.  They're so entitled that when someone brings them a live fish out of water, it means nothing to them except that it is very fresh.  They are entitled to whatever comes from the suffering.

Yes, I know.  This nitpicking is what makes people hate vegans.





No comments:

Post a Comment